Yea!!! I did it!!! Do you remember me posting about those cute shorts that I wanted to be able to wear on vacation? Well, thanks to a few lifestyle changes, I put them on this morning and they fit just like they did last year! No strenuous exercising, no starving myself diet, just good old fashioned common sense.
I Like How I Look!
I am one of those people who can gain weight just by looking at a piece of cake! It is very hard for me to stick to a strict diet and I just do not have time to go to the gym. With that being said I still like to dress cute and look good! I know I will never look like the skinny little thing Phillip married so many years ago but I am okay with that as long as I am healthy. My body, metabolism, and lifestyle have changed as I have gotten older but again I am okay with that.
In the last few years, I have been smaller than I am now but I have also been heavier. It would be nice to be a little smaller but if I don’t get there I am happy with the way I am now. I know I am not what the mainstream would say is average sized but maybe I am average for me, and that’s all that really matters.
My doctor says I am very healthy. I passed my last physical with flying colors! I don’t have to take any prescription medications. So despite being what society considers overweight, I am as healthy as someone 50 pounds lighter than me. At this point in my life, I have come to the realization that being happy and healthy is more important than wearing a bikini.
Fitting In Those Shorts
Disappointed doesn’t begin to describe how I felt when I tried on my favorite dressy shorts and they were too snug. Vacation was 3 weeks away so it was my goal to use that time to slim down enough to the point where they fit comfortably again. This goal was completely doable. I knew that I was not going to be able to stick to a diet. Starting some crazy exercise plan is just not for me. What I decided to do was just change a few things that would fit into my lifestyle and that I would be able to keep doing.
My 6 Lifestyle Changes
- I increased my water intake. We all know we should be drinking it but most of us just do not like it. There is a post here on my blog about how to make your water taste better and I used several of the little tips in it to make my water more interesting. 10 Ways To Drink More Water
- I started taking my lunch to work along with a couple of snacks so I would not have to eat out and I could better control what was going in my mouth. Fixing lunch for Phillip is part of my morning routine so it was not a problem to make mine at the same time.
- I am parking farther away from the elevator. Those few extra steps every day add up. I also get up and walk around during lunchtime. Because I work at a desk all day I knew getting up and moving would be important.
- I started using whole grain bread. I love bread! There is no way I am not going to eat it so I just changed what kind of bread I used. I have found that I actually like the nutty taste of whole grain!
- I am forcing myself to not have to clean my plate. This is also something that is very hard for me. I have been a member of the clean plate club since I was a little girl. Not finishing what is on my plate takes all the will power I have but when I feel like I had enough I quickly take my plate to the kitchen and scrape what is left into the garbage.
- I have consciously started eating more slowly. This was probably the hardest thing for me. Eating in a hurry comes from having children. That is a habit that is very hard for me to break. Now I am trying to put my fork down between bites and take my time. I seem to eat less this way because I realize I am full sooner.
Living With These Lifestyle Changes
Because these are minor things that I have changed it has been relatively easy to consistently do them. Each change has fit into my lifestyle so it has not been hard at all. I am going to continue these changes during vacation next week. When I get home I plan I adding some more small changes. Making a few small changes every month until I feel I am healthy and fit is my new goal.
I will post updates on these changes as I go so you can follow along. I truly believe that these small changes will make a difference in my life. No, I don’t think I will become the next over 50 swimsuit model but I do think I will look better and feel better about myself.
Posts You May Be Interested In